40 somethings living rurally

thedixonclan

40 somethings living rurally

Post by thedixonclan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi all. My wife (45) and I (44) moved out of the Boise area almost 10 years ago and live rurally near Midvale, Idaho. Although we don't miss living in "town", we do miss the amenities. We have two children age 15 and 10 and we do like to go to the "city" when we can, but it is always comes at a bit of a price (hotel, etc.). We wouldn't mind getting to know another couple(s) to hang out with while in town, as well as them coming our way when they need some rural time. We live on 7 acres between two ranches, and within an hour of Brownlee reservoir and within minutes of the Weiser river trail, Hitt & Cuddy mountain.

We enjoy dinner and a movie or going out on the town, as well as sharing a meal and conversation with good friends followed by cards or board games. We also like to go to plays and rock concerts, and catch the occasional sporting events. We are also big UFC fans. I work for an electrical utility and she is an over-qualified Librarian. We both gave up careers in the Corporate world to raise our kids in a rural setting.

We do like to camp, but don't do much RV style camping due to where we live (as above, we find ourselves heading into town on the weekends where others are heading out). We both enjoy a nice campfire where I spend the evening keeping it stoked while she reads by the firelight. We would like to get into day hiking and possibility of backpacking. Other ventures include trail riding with "comfort" bikes, canoeing, snow shoeing, or other less motorized activities. We do have a four wheeler and 4X4 truck, but they are used more to get me to my hunting spots.

I like to hunt and fish, she doesn't (although she is coming around). Now that our kids are older we hope to get out and and actually enjoy some of these activities (instead of, for instance, spending the day untangling fishing lines from the Zebco kids rods).

If any of this is of interest let us know :-) Scott n Heather

katondeck

Re: 40 somethings living rurally

Post by katondeck » Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 am

Hiya! We are nearly 39 & 44 and I have a 16yo son who comes for the summer.
We live in the Central Bench area. We love low budget evenings in w boardgames or cards or whatever.
We also love to camp when we can and budget allows.

We have a guest room, and assuming the kids are dragged, grumbling, behind the parents, kids can camp out in the backyard. (Save hotel fees!)

We also have a number of neighbors on our street that we frequently hang with, some singles, some couples.

If we don't link up before, we might have to invite you to our (finally!) housewarming at the end of June-ish.

Send me a PM so I don't miss it if you respond!
Kat & David

Return to “Boise”